Seattle’s funky little unincorporated neighbor to the southwest, White Center, has gotten progressively more LGBTQ as it journeys down the road of gentrification. They’ve actively welcomed and promoted their LGBTQ owned businesses for quite awhile now and in recent years, have put on progressively more events to celebrate queer pride every June.
This year’s events are closely mimicking what they did last year with several events happenning this week starting Wednesday, May 31st and going on throughout the week with a big street festival happening on White Center’s main drag, 16th Avenue SW on Saturday, June 3rd.
Here’s a list of events:
- 7-9pm: Leather & Lace Drag Cabaret at Southgate Roller Rink Bar
- 8:30-11pm: Pride Skate at the Southgate Roller Rink
- 6:30-9pm: Pride Flag Raising in front of Mac’s Triangle Pub.
- After the flag raising: Third annual Youth Pride Mini-Parade!
- 6-9pm: Queer Beer Release Party at Future Primitive Brewing
- Pride Street Festival In downtown White Center 11am-12pm
The big difference for 2023 is the fact that the neighborhood’s beloved gay bar, The Lumber Yard, is open for business this year. The bar had to close and relocate after a devasting arson set fire in July of 2021. The owners were able to find a new home across the street from the former space but weren’t able to open in time for Pride events in 2022.
The Saturday Festival features:
- 100+ local & LGBT-friendly vendors
- Local performers
- 9+ Beer Gardens
- Delicious food specialties
- Main stage headliners
- Family play area featuring:
A super-slide, bouncy house, and more!
- Special Limited Wristbands:
Available for local food & drink specials.
16th Ave SW between SW Roxbury & SW 100th St
Go to their website for the full schedule of festival events and talent line-up: https://www.whitecenterpride.org/schedule