Hmmmm….not sure what to think about this. Brilliant idea or exploitation or both?
THEY/THEM is a new horror film from Blumhouse Productions who have produced many other “smart” horror films like Get Out and US. It’s written and directed by out gay writer John Logan (Skyfall, Gladiator, The Aviator are just a few of his film writing credits and he has a Tony Award for writing the play Red) making his film directing debut. Logan was also the creator and show runner for television series Penny Dreadful which featured queer content/characters. And, it stars Kevin Bacon, a longtime ally.
Kevin Bacon plays Owen Whistler in this slasher horror film set at an LGBTQIA+ conversion camp. Several queer and trans campers join Whistler for a week of programming intended to “help them find a new sense of freedom”. As the camp’s methods become increasingly more psychologically unsettling, the campers must work together to protect themselves. When a mysterious killer starts claiming victims, things get even more dangerous.
And, here are the cast/character descriptions:
CAST & CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS:
• Kevin Bacon (he/him) plays Owen Whistler, the conversion camp director who runs Whistler Camp alongside several counselors including his wife, Cora.
• Anna Chlumsky (she/her) plays Molly, the camp’s medic and newest employee.
• Carrie Preston (she/her) plays Cora Whistler, a licensed therapist in charge of the campers’ therapy sessions, and the wife of camp director Owen Whistler.
• Theo Germaine (they/them) plays Jordan, a transgender and non-binary camper from a religious background who has made a deal with their parents to legally emancipate if attending Whistler doesn’t “work.”
• Quei Tann (she/her) plays Alexandra, a transgender woman whose parents have threatened to kick her out of the house if she didn’t attend the camp.
• Austin Crute (he/him) plays Toby, a gay camper who negotiated with his parents for a trip to New York in exchange for a week at Whistler Camp.
• Monique Kim (she/her) plays Veronica, a bisexual camper who wants to stop fighting who she really is.
• Anna Lore (she/her) plays Kim, a closeted lesbian camper who puts on a perfectly crafted front for her family and friends, assuming that when she fits in, she’ll finally be loved.
• Cooper Koch (he/him) plays Stu, a jock with aspirations of a swim scholarship and joining his father’s fraternity – things he doesn’t feel he can achieve if he’s open about being gay.
• Darwin Del Fabro (he/him) plays Gabriel, a sensitive gay camper tired of the persistent name-calling and bullying he’s endured his entire life.
Hmmmm….what do you think? Is this “must see TV”?
It looks…interesting. Promising. But, only if the phobes are horribly killed.
They/Them drops on Peacock on August 5th.