Gen Pride’s PILLARS OF PRIDE event and fundraiser was a huge success this past Sunday, May 15th at Century Ballroom on Capitol Hill raising over $50k. The non-profit group provides programs for Seattle’s growing LGBTQ+ community and is currently actively working on raising $2m towards the construction of an LGBTQ+ Center to be located in the under construction Pride Place which will provide housing for low income queer seniors.
The new housing is located on Broadway, between Pike and Pine Street on Capitol Hill in the heart of the city’s traditional LGBTQ+ neighborhood. GenPride is a partner on the project with Community Roots Housing. The new building is scheduled to be completed in 2023.
The Sunday event is the first of what is proposed to be an annual event that will have the double duty of fundraising while honoring elder community “pillars” for their leadership. The 12 people honored for the first event:
- Aaliyah Messiah – nominated by POCAAN
- Arnaldo Inocentes – nominated by Pride ASIA
- Bill Thieleman – nominated by Seattle Choruses
- Breanna Anderson – nominated by Ingersoll Gender Center
- Domenico Minotti – nominated by Gay City
- Jorge Aguirre – nominated by Entre Hermanos
- Karen Fredriksen-Goldsen – nominated by GenPride
- Louise Chernin – nominated by GSBA
- Lynda Greene – SouthEast Seattle Senior Center (SESSC)
- Malie “Tiare” Chanel – nominated by UTOPIA
- Martha Zuniga – nominated by Entre Hermanos
- Peter Shalit – nominated by GenPride
More info and a chance to donate to the Pride Place project.
|A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to a successful first-ever Pillars of Pride! We enjoyed coming together in community and celebration. With entertainment from the Seattle Men & Women’s Chorus group the SuperTonics, a keynote address by George Dicks, and the extraordinary Aleksa Manila as the emcee, the 150+ guests were treated to a special afternoon. A special thank you to our Honorees that were nominated by GenPride and partner agencies, all of our attendees, volunteers, speakers, and community leaders who joined us on Sunday.|
|If you haven’t already donated, help us make Pride Place a reality by donating today at genprideseattle.org/pillars-of-pride-donate/ or by using the button below.|
We also have video of the event available, including inspiring speeches from our honoree at genprideseattle.org/pop#eventvideo