It kicked off earlier this month and continues this Saturday night (August 22) and next…the City of Seattle’s plan to close off East Pike Street from Broadway to 12th Avenue to vehicle traffic. Yes, you can party in the middle of the street like common trash!
We keed, we keed….we think it’s a great idea. Too many cars and cabs are clogging the streets on the weekends…this could help with the cacophony of chaos!
There’s also some events happening IN the street on these nights. For tomorrow night, Saturday the 22nd, you can choose from sweaty yoga and sweaty drag queens! Next week has sweaty salsa dancing! Both weeks include roving packs of street performers, plus members of the Imperial Court of Seattle roving around handing out condoms. All of them will probably be rather sweaty!!!
Details from the Capitol Hill Eco District Blog:
- 8:00pm Sweatbox Yoga will be doing a yoga class in the street to kick things off.
From Laura Culberg, the owner and instructor: “The SweatBox is a Bikram influenced studio offering traditional Hatha Yoga, usually in a hot room. For this Pike-Pine Pedestrian Streets Pilot class, The SweatBox owner Laura Culberg will offer a beginners level class, primarily standing series that’s appropriate for all levels and all ages. Wear yoga gear and bring a mat if you want, or just show up in your street clothes and try something new. Join us for a fun class and start your journey to health and wellness.”
- 9:00pm we’ll have a drag show.
From Jackie Hell, the Host: “You won’t be the only drag queen on E Pike St this night! The lineup includes some of Seattle’s finest, including: Freckles Riverside, of New Noise Productions (the King of F’ing with Burlesque). RainbowGore Cake, the 12 year old, drag superstar. Samuel L. JackYouSon, bringing you Drag King realness. Ade, the sultry singer we all love. Honey Bucket, Pac Highway’s hottest Ho. Hosted by Jackie Hell. We’ll announce additional performers as they are confirmed.
- These performances and all amplified sound will be done by 10pm.
- 8:00 to 10:00pm Century Ballroom will be hosting queer friendly swing and salsa partner dance classes in the street.
- Again, these activities and all amplified sound will be done by 10pm.
- The plan for both nights is to have silent (or very quiet) performers from 10:00pm to 1:00am including human statues, clowns, and dancers.
- Then, for a half hour right around closing time, we’ll have musicians serenade people goodnight and indicate that it’s time to get out of the street, get some food or head home.
- The Imperial Court has also generously offered to be out and about in regalia, handing out condoms, establishing their presence throughout the night. Other LGBTQ and community groups are welcome and encouraged to participate in similar ways.
We’re so thrilled that ALTERNATIVE queens and divas are taking over the street…any chance for the general public to be exposed to the odd delights of Jackie Hell, Freckles Riverside and Honey Bucket is a win/win!
We encourage EVERYONE to get out Saturday night and wave their freak flag!